Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Light Skin vs Dark Skin Dichotomy


Hey guys!
I have a question tied to an observation.

I noticed there are quite a few models of natural hair that are lighter skinned when I was playing around on my tumblr page.

Furthermore, I noticed more people take to the lighter skinned models than the darker skinned ones. I feel this is because on dark skinned women natural hair is considered more acceptable when it is curly rather than ethnically textured. For example (*cough* this could also be due to popularity, or lack of clothing *cough*):

This was liked 15 times

Versus this image which was liked 101 times

What happened to dark skinned sisters modelling afros!? 

For me the problem is not the skin color but how others perceive black natural hair differently on women of a lighter skin tone. To me, men are more accepting of natural hair on a light skinned chick since light skin is still associated with attractiveness and is generally more coveted. But, to me natural hair is beautiful on women of all skin tones! Why should light skin chicks get a thumbs up while dark skinned chicks get a thumbs down for being too ethnic.

Does it matter or am I being paranoid?

I preach tolerance and equality but I'm the type of person who notices dichotomies, inequality, and glaring differences... I guess it's due to my background as a Psychology and English dual major. But this is something that has caught my eye. Much love to all my women out there doing what they're doing! 

~.^ I'll be back! Much love! ^.~

2 comments:

  1. i'm light skinned with super kinky hair the stereotype with light skin is we should have 3c or looser curls my husband doesn't like my hair natural be he says because it is short but my hair is neck length and shrinks up to a twa so it not short just tightly coiled if i had hair like kelis he wouldn't have a problem with it. i see more dark skinned naturals then i do on tv then i do light skinned when i say this i' m not talking about mixed models or actresses with 3c hair cause i see them all over tv and in the mags i want to see a light skinned women with super kinky afro hair on tv and in mags i get sick of people telling me oh i thought you had good hair just because i'm light skinned i should have looser curls its racist in a way lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with that! I feel like models and women in commercials who are light skinned don't have that kinky textured hair. And if they do, they definitely don't wear it in an afro state!

    And for the people who are ignorant enough to ride your for not having a looser texture are butt nuggets! Don't pay them any mind! ^.~ Your hair is beautiful no matter how kinky, curly, or straight it is! Wear it girl! Throw it in their faces!

    Btw! I would love to see a pic! Thankies so much for commenting and subscribing!

    Peace and love! ^.~

    ReplyDelete