Friday, September 21, 2012

Product Review: Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter


Hey everybody! I know it’s been a while. Well a lot has happened! I moved upstate for Grad School in August. Classes started then too so I’ve been pretty busy! But since I’m sort of taking things slow with my course load this week, I thought I’d do a product review I promised months back!

Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter
Old Jar!
http://www.lolasgreenhair.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/932648-500x458.jpg 

New Jar!
http://www.curlmart.com/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_2560_420x420.jpg
These picture aren't my own. I used up my jar so I couldn't take my own pics.

Now, I went out and purchased this butter after watching a demo and review by denimpixie on youtube. I was also intrigued by amla as a main ingredient. But, I cannot say how much I regretted this purchase. Now, the product is great for twist outs, it has great ingredients and the consistency is perfect. However, the moisture is not there. For me that is the most important thing for a twisting butter --especially since you might keep your hair twisted for several days. This butter makes my hair dry no matter what I put under it. I’ve even sealed it and there’s no change. 

Furthermore, I hate that the company changed all the ingredients of most (if not all) their products without notifying the public formally! I really was taken aback by that! I’ve tried most of the products form this line and there’s only 2 that are HG status for me (the Algae Deep Conditioning Mask and the Growth Oil). But since they changed the ingredients they might not be HG status anymore… But anyways, this review pertains to the original ingredients. I used up the jar that contains the original ingredients NOT the updated ingredients.

From Curl Mart:
NEW INGREDIENTS 06/04/2012:
almond milk, distilled water, aloe vera leaf juice, BTMS, almond oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, pumpkin seed oil, macadamia oil, hemp, honey, green tea, marshmellow root, amla, optiphen, natural fragrance.

OLD INGREDIENTS:
almond milk, distilled water, aloe vera leaf juice, BTMS, almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, brazil nut oil, amla oil, pumpkin seed oil, macadamia nut oil, baobab oil, honey, manketti oil, nettle, algae, L-cystine, xanthum gum, optiphen, fragrance

Where to Buy:  CurlMart, Camille Rose FB page, CR Website (which I do not recommend, it’s really sketch), Sage Naturalceuticals Website (http://www.sagenaturalceuticals.com/shop/Camille-Rose-Naturals-Almond-Jai-Twisting-Butter-8oz.html)

Moisture: Good/passable for about a day but by the next day my hair was dry as the Sahara desert.

Texture: Creamy, medium thick white cream.

Smell: It has the light smell of Vanilla Cake Batter! All their products basically smell like this except the oil.

Application: Easy. It absorbs very quickly! But if you apply too much it gets gunky.

Price: 8 oz: $15 ($16.50 at Sage)

Product Claims: “Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter contains nourishing ingredients to help decrease shedding and stimulate healthy hair growth. At the same time, providing maximum softness and long lasting hold to all your favorite natural hair styles. This thick and creamy medium weight butter is perfect for twist outs, braid outs and bantu knots. Can also be used to moisturize and cut down on frizz for wash and go styles.”

I only agree with the hold. Everything else is a no! I didn’t see less shedding or increased growth. It did soften the hair but that softness only lasts 1 day. 

Pros
Good slip
Great hold
Pleasant smell
Last long enough for several applications
Suitable for a topper/finisher for wash n gos (see wash n gos post)

Cons
Moisture doesn’t last long enough
Ingredients changed
Could be cheaper? (It does last a long time though)
If you use too much it makes the hair gunky and stiff (it might even leave a white cast)

I give this product
3 out of 5 stars

I only give it 3 stars because of the smell and the hold. It provides a nice set for twists out but I hate how it makes my hair feel dry. I put some in yesterday afternoon around 5pm and my hair was dry before I went to bed around 11:30pm. I’m glad I was able to use the whole jar BUT I have a similar product from this line called Moisture Butter. I’m trying to use up my stash so I’m been using products that have been opened… God I wish I never opened these products. 

I’ll write a review for other products from this line as well. I did a haul way back and I’ve only used up 3 items (this butter, the coconut rinse out condish, and the growth oil which I repurchased). If you guys want to compare the old and new ingredients for each product, go to CurlMart. They have the updated ingredients listed in the ingredients tab!

Well until next time! Peace, love and good hair days everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

    macadamia nut oil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! I'm glad this helped you!

    ReplyDelete