Monday, January 9, 2012

2 for 1 Deal! Part 1: SSKs!


Hey guys sorry for the delay! *sigh* Applying to Grad School is too much! ~.~
But anyways, I’m here with two new posts: One is a review and one is about a problem I’ve been suffering from.

This post is about Single Strand Knots… 
MY JEEBUS! 

Every time I look I have knots at the ends of my hair. And sometimes I have like 2 or 3 knots along the whole strand… Usually when I find a knot I snip it off with scissors or even pull it off (I’ve tried to stop this… lol). Frustrated, I search the net for tips on how to deal with this problem. I found several you tube videos and even some blog posts about what could cause it and how to prevent it.

Apparently, I’ve been treating my baby (my hair) terribly. These are the things I’ve been doing wrong…
  •  Sleeping with your hair out
  • Not sealing your hair (especially your ends) when adding moisture
  • Hand in hair syndrome (I molest my hair like it’s nobody’s business…or it is everyone’s business… because I do it too much… lol)
 
My excuses and rationale
  • I have such long days I refuse to twist or braid my hair before I go to sleep.
  • I figured since I have a satin pillowcase (and sleep on it every night) I would be fine.
  • I haven’t been sealing or detangling enough because of time constraints. I thought it would be fine if I just moisturized more often…
NOPE!

Strike!

You’re out!
 
I know everyone uses this pic! But it's so cute! lmao ^.~*

Apparently, if you sleep with your hair loose, you run the risk of single strand knots. The tossing and turning of your head (I’m a terrible sleeper) causes the hair to double back on each other and VIOLA ... knots on your precious hair strands… 

To correct this issue, I’ve started braiding my hair more often in general and wearing a wig during the day. And if I don’t have it braided, I wear a satin cap to bed.  I’ve increased the frequency of shampooing, moisturizing, and sealing as well. Even though I DC weekly, I wasn’t doing anything to keep the moisture in. Shame on this lazy gal… 

*sigh* Being low maintenance and lazy is not helping my baby grow. But hey, you live and you learn. I plan on trying the oil rinse today or tomorrow (which is simply a hot oil treatment that is followed by a rinse out condish, I believe... lol). I'll update you on my progress next month!


The sources are below!

http://questfortheperfectcurl.com/2010/06/09/ugh-single-strand-knots/

Do you guys suffer from single strand knots? What hair abuse are you guilty of?

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment