Saturday, December 24, 2011

What the ______ is this hair typing business!?

Well, hey guys! I’ve finally returned! I’m done with undergrad and now I can focus on what matters to me! ^.~

So, before I jump into my new product reviews, I wanted to talk about my hair type and maybe help you guys figure out yours. Honestly, when I first started using products, I wished someone did this as thoroughly and plainly as I am attempting to do now.

I know most of us go by that 3c, 4a, 4b, 4c type crap. BUT! There are better ways to figure out your hair type. To figure out if a product will work for you, you should know your hair porosity, density, and strand thickness.

My hair types: 

4a in the middle, 3c in the back, 4b in the front (on the sides)! Crazy mix… But I love my hair!
Now on to the more informative typing stuff!
Normal to low porosity
I’m mostly normal porosity but some parts are low. If the product is right for me it usually melts right into my hair, and I don’t have to moisturize too often (maybe one or twice a week if I didn’t love using product in my hair).

Fine to Medium Coarse Strands
            When I found this out, I was UBER surprised. I have soooo much hair. All my life I’ve had thick hair that would break brushes and combs. But when I checked my strands, the majority of them are fine!!!!! I mean, these babies were so hard to see and when you think you’re pulling out 1 you’ve pulled out like 4. The rest are medium coarse though! I just couldn’t believe my hair wasn’t coarse yet it was so thick. It just goes to show how thickness/density has nothing to do with strand thickness!

Density
            I have so much hair. It’s very thick! THICK! Again this is just crazy. I must have like millions of fine strands on my head that just mate and create medium coarse strands (this a joke, I don’t think this could happen… lmao)!

Well with that said, let’s boogie down!
Porosity
In plain language, it's just how open your hair cuticle is.

If you have low porosity, your cuticle is pretty sealed and it takes a while for product to penetrate the hair shaft and for moisture to leave the hair shaft.

If you have normal porosity, your cuticle is more open than low but more closed than high. Normal porosity is balanced and absorbs product at a normal rate (whatever a normal rate is, be it 5 mins or 15 mins, or whatever the product recommends).

If you have high porosity, your hair strand is very open and absorbs product like it’s nobody’s business!!! Some people think this is bad because just as much moisture comes out as product goes in. But meh, I say it’s nothing to lose sleep over unless it’s from chemical or heat damage… then we have problems!!!

NEXT!
Density
Well we all know this! How much hair do you have on your head child!? Lol  

If you have high density you have a thick head full of hair.
If you have low density, your hair isn’t as thick.

FINALLY!

Strand Thickness
Three types: Fine, Medium Coarse, and Coarse
Fine
Very thin, smaller than thread

Medium Coarse
Bigger than fine but smaller than coarse, almost the same size as a piece of thread (I believe). 

Coarse
Thick! Closer to the size of a piece of thread. It might feel wiry.

So, why does all this matter!? 

Well, let’s say you want to use something for a twist out. Let’s say your hair has normal porosity, fine to medium coarse strands, and high density (yea it’s my hair profile lmao). My hair loves thick and buttery creams for twists outs! If it’s too heavy my hair gets pissed the fuck off with me and decides to look and feel busted! 

But maybe your hair is different. Ah! Eureka! 

Maybe it has high porosity with coarse strands, and high density (my mom’s hair profile lmao). You hair might love the same twist out cream I gave a bad review. ^.~

Usually if something is too heavy and greasy, I give it to my mama and her hair loves it! So it’s important to know this before your PJism (product junkie syndrome is what I like to call it) has you wasting money on products that your hair doesn’t like!

So I hoped this helped! Check out the sources for detailed info on how to find your hair density, strand thickness, and porosity!


Peace and love!!


Sources
The ones with stars were the most informative to me! Lol
*http://blackgirllonghair.com/2011/11/not-every-natural-is-coarse-of-course/2/

No comments:

Post a Comment